Planner - Residential projects
|Job Type||Permanent Full Time|
|Location||London or Manchester|
|Area||United Kingdom, Europe|
|Job Sector||Wind Energy / Renewables - Project Management Office|
|Start Date||One Month|
|Job Ref||Planner - KJDRes|
Job Overview Purpose
The Senior Planner will be responsible for leading the planning & controls function on tenders, projects or programmes of works depending on the specific role(s) or opportunity(s) within SRM.
The Senior Planner will have demonstrable skills and experience in staff management, development, coaching and performance appraisal.
The Senior Planner will be responsible for developing, maintaining and managing all programmes, project controls and other time-related and production control deliverables, (sequence drawings, phasing diagrams, (BIM 4D would be advantageous), logistics and site management plans, S curves, milestone/key date trackers, resource histograms, plant schedules, etc.), with extensive experience, skill and knowledge in producing these deliverables from first principles (volumetric, unit rates and benchmarks).
The Senior Planner will be required to effectively communicate the project’s planning and controls roadmap and performance measures to a host of key stakeholders, including: project and business unit colleagues, professional team, the client and trades contractors, etc.
Early warnings, including exceptions reporting and mitigation proposals will all be key components of the role.
The Senior Planner will be required to challenge live projects to ensure delivery is in line with all company, business unit and project business objectives.
The Senior Planner will be a key member of the Project Manager and Planning Manager of the Business Unit’s teams, providing first class planning and controls functional leadership and support in meeting business objectives.
The Senior Planner will be independent, organised, flexible, have excellent communication skills, be self-reliant, a team player, collaborative and have first class interpersonal management skills.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
Please note that the responsibilities accountabilities can vary or change from time to time based on business/project requirements.
Responsibilities of the Senior Planner include, but are not limited to:
· Ensuring the responsibilities identified to you in the Company Health and Safety Policy Part 2 are conducted in accordance with the Company Management System (CMS)
· Lead and manage the project planning and controls function
· Have staff management, development and or coaching responsibility
· Have excellent planning skills with a detailed understanding of construction methods
· Have a proven ability to develop and maintain programmes, project controls deliverables and other time-related materials, in conjunction with colleagues and other key stakeholders
· Develop relationships with client, professional team and supply chain
· Contribute to pre-contract planning and work winning
· Have a developed understanding of strategic planning and project management systems
· Implement robust project controls, accurate reporting status and forecasting
· Have proven post-contract project planning experience
· Have proven tender planning experience
· Have strong organisation skills
· Have an ability to develop and manage the planning process-from first principles
· Have an ability to provide strategic advice and have an attention to detail
· Have the ability to innovate and drive planning and controls initiatives
LINE MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES
· Live the SRM Values and McAlpine Way through the Build Sure Commitments and role model them, bringing them to life for your team.
· Use the Values and Build Sure Commitments to help employees understand their team and business unit goals and their contribution to these.
· Drive a high performance culture by:
o Working with your team members to set SMART objectives and measure their progress
o Provide effective guidance, advice, feedback using coaching and mentoring techniques
o Have regular “check-in” meetings and provide open and honest feedback
o Role model inclusive behaviours creating an environment where your team can share ideas, collaborate, innovate, and continuously improve
o Provide a lead on change and team development
o Promote effective teamwork through communication and consultation on shared goals
· Recognise high performance and leverage employee strengths to achieve and maintain high performance
· Where under performance is identified, use effective feedback and improvement action planning
· Carry out a regular check in meetings, including two formal reviews as part of “Building Individual Performance” (BIP) to support employees in realising their full potential; focus their efforts as contributors to the success of the delivery of the project and support their individual personal learning and development
· Identify business-related learning and development needs jointly with your team members. Ensure that they own their learning and development and that opportunities are available to learn on the job as well as through business related development opportunities
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
· Support the company in meeting its objectives, e.g. 100% projects completed on time, etc.
· Demonstrate and apply the necessary values of the company: Honourable, Family, Enterprising, Engineering Excellence, and Responsibility
· Establish all necessary project controls providing: status, trends, forecasts, early warnings and exceptions reporting and contribute to mitigation measures to meet objectives
· Demonstrate ability to effectively plan and utilise necessary planning software to a high standard e.g. Asta Powerproject /Teamplan (or Oracle Primavera P6, if required)
· Provide exemplary planning leadership on tenders/projects, as required and support staff/reports to meet their full potential
· Provide exemplary planning functional support to project team leaders
· Drives and supports business strategy, aims and objectives
· Customer focussed/recognition of Employers Requirements
· Advanced knowledge of planning techniques
· Advanced knowledge of construction methods and techniques
· Advanced user of planning software e.g: Asta power Project/Teamplan; Oracle Primavera P6 (Mainly civils); TILOS Time Location Software (Mainly civils); Microsoft Project
· Competent user of Microsoft Office Suite
· BIM/4D/Asta 4D BIM (Desirable)
· Team player
JOB SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE (essential)
· Highly organised
· Ability to establish priorities and manage deadlines
· Advanced practitioner of Asta Power Project/Teamplan
· Excellent communication skills
· Demonstrates leadership ability
· Can-do approach
· Enjoys a challenge
· Team Player
· Proven track record at a senior level in planning and controls at tender and contract stage
· Record of leading, managing and developing planning and controls staff at project level
· Detailed knowledge of construction methods and techniques
· Ability to absorb and apply detailed information from multiple sources into a fully- integrated precedence networked master programme (design, procurement, approvals, construction, testing & commissioning, Handover, etc.)
· Able to develop and manage a balanced suite of project controls information/data, e.g.:
o Programme status
o Milestone/key dates trackers
o Critical Path Analysis (CPA)
o Production controls S curves & histograms (key trades packages)
o People (resource S curves & histograms)
o Pounds (utilise cash flow forecast (CFF) and forecast final costs (FFC) cross-referenced to Schedule & other controls data)
o Trend analysis
o Early warnings
o Phasing & sequence diagrams
o Logistics & site management plans
· Able to provide/manage all necessary project reports
· Successful candidates will need to demonstrate experience of planning residential and commercial projects with a values of £50 million +
JOB SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE (desirable)
· Earned Value (EVA/EVM)
· TILOS (Mainly Civils)
· Primavera P6 (Mainly Civils)
· BIM 4D Modelling
· Able to train, mentor and develop staff in planning and controls techniques, systems, processes and procedures
h) QUALIFICATIONS (essential)
· Graduate Diploma/Degree in Construction or equivalent
· Graduate Diploma/Degree in Civil or Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
· Graduate Degree in another subject with substantial work experience and/or trades background
· MSc/MBA Post Graduate Qualification
· Professional Membership e.g.